These melt in the mouth scones are perfect for any occasion be it afternoon tea or a picnic in the park. The humble scone is much-loved by us Irish especially when accompanied by a good dollop of fresh cream and in-season jam!
- 5 Cups of plain flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup & 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups sultanas / cranberries
- Jam & Cream to serve
- Preheat your oven to 325 (F)/ 165 (C) degrees
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sift the dry mixture into a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and mix in using your fingers until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the sultanas/cranberries and blend thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture out onto lightly floured surface and roll to a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a biscuit cutter (or a glass), cut into rounds and put onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bakefor 14-17 minutes or until bottoms are nice and firm.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Header Image Source: Karen Booth, Flickr