Easy to bake and even easier to devour, Apple Crumble is a true Irish staple. This recipe is perfect for even the most pastry-challenged!
If you’re looking for good, simple comfort food, than you can’t do much better than Apple Crumble. The Apple Crumble is a staple across family dinnertables throughout the country. The waft of a crumble coming out of the oven is one of the mouth-wateringly enticing smells you will ever experience.
Whether you’re looking for a winter warmer or a light, summer tart the ever-reliable Apple Crumble will do the job.
“Good apple pies are a considerable part of our domestic happiness.”
- 6 ounces (225g) plain flour
- 2 ounces (50g) porridge oats
- 3 ounces (85g) butter
- 3 – 4 ounces (85-110g) brown sugar
- 2 Large cooking apples (peeled and sliced)
- 2 ounces (50g) sugar (increase depending on tartness of apples)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Rub the flour and the butter together with your fingertips. Continue until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the brown sugar and oats. Put aside the crumble while preparing the apples.
- Grease a 1.5 quart oven-proof dish.
- Peel and slice the apples (and whatever other fruit you may be using)
- Layer the fruit and sugar in the base of the dish.
- Spread the crumble mix over the top. Cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with cream, hot custard or ice cream.